The Common Core is a set of high-quality academic standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy (ELA). These standards outline what a student should know and be able to do at the end of each grade as well as ensure that all students graduate from high school with skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in whatever they choose to do in life.
The standards are
- Research-and evidence-based
- Clear, understandable and consistent
- Aligned with college and career expectations
- Based on rigorous content and application of knowledge through higher-order thinking skills
- Built upon the strengths and lessons of current state standards
- Informed by other top performing countries in order to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society