2020 Census - Make It Count!
This year, District 91 is partnering with the Mayor's Office and the Forest Park Census 2020 Committee (CCC) to effectively reach all District 91 families to encourage them to respond to the 2020 Census. To that end, District 91 and the CCC have developed a strategic communications plan to reach families in a timely manner through a variety of communication channels (advertising, digital backpacks, social media, website) with information about the 2020 Census. Invitations to respond to the 2020 Census will be delivered between March 12-20. Once you receive that invitation, you can respond online, by phone or by mail.
Benefits of a Complete Count
- The U.S. Census serves as the basis for distributing federal assistance to schools and educational institutions, including Title I aid, the National School Lunch Program, and special education grants to states.
- A complete count of every person living in Forest Park has tremendous benefits for all District 91 families and community members.
- In 2010, less than 75% of Forest Park families responded to the Census, leaving a significant amount of money on the table that could have been used for school and community purposes.
How Census Data is Used
- Census data accurately determine how many representatives each state has in Congress and inform the redrawing of congressional district boundaries.
- Census data are used as the basis for distributing more than $675 billion in federal funds annually to states, counties and communities to support resources such as schools, hospitals and fire departments.
- Census data inform policy, community initiatives and consumer advocacy.
- Census data are used to determine the allocation of Title I funds, which provide financial assistance to local educational agencies and schools with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families.
- A comprehensive communications plan targeting District 91 families will begin in mid-March and continue through September including advertising, digitial communications, public relations, social media and website promotion.
- District 91 and the CCC will reach out to the Forest Park Review to do stories on the importance of having everyone in the community respond to the 2020 Census.
- Teachers at all grade levels will be encouraged to incorporate the 2020 Census into their lesson plans between now and the end of the school year.
District 91 and the CCC encourage all families to respond to the 2020 Census. All responses are completely anonymous. If you have any questions, please contact Scott Dunnell, Public Relations and Communications Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.